PowerPC SecurePLT - stepping into library function

Michael Eager eager@eagerm.com
Fri Jan 6 20:27:00 GMT 2012

On 01/06/2012 12:09 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Michael Eager wrote:
>
>> It seems that the best way to fix this would be to create
>> a new OSABI sniffer for SecurePLT which identifies that
>> the executable was compiled with -msecurePLT.  One issue
>> is how to identify these programs.  The Power Arch 32-bit ABI
>> (Sect 5.2.5.2, note at end) says that these will have
>> R_PPC_REL16 relocations.  I don't see any of these relocs.
>
> That's about relocatable objects, i.e. static relocations in .o files, not
> dynamic relocations in executables and shared libraries.

I didn't see any in the .o files, either.

>> Is there any possibility of a chimera:  an executable compiled
>> using Secure PLT linking to libraries which use the old style
>> PLT?  Or vice-versa?  I'm assuming that this cannot happen.
>
> As far as I know that ought to work.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  That means that an OSABI
sniffer will not work.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077