PowerPC SecurePLT - stepping into library function

Joseph S. Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Fri Jan 6 20:09:00 GMT 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Michael Eager wrote:

> It seems that the best way to fix this would be to create
> a new OSABI sniffer for SecurePLT which identifies that
> the executable was compiled with -msecurePLT.  One issue
> is how to identify these programs.  The Power Arch 32-bit ABI
> (Sect 5.2.5.2, note at end) says that these will have
> R_PPC_REL16 relocations.  I don't see any of these relocs.

That's about relocatable objects, i.e. static relocations in .o files, not
dynamic relocations in executables and shared libraries.

> Is there any possibility of a chimera:  an executable compiled
> using Secure PLT linking to libraries which use the old style
> PLT?  Or vice-versa?  I'm assuming that this cannot happen.

As far as I know that ought to work.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com