gdb on Mac OS bpt implementation question

Mick Jordan mick.jordan@oracle.com
Tue Nov 8 23:42:00 GMT 2011

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to where in the gdb source
code that Mac OS specific breakpoint setting is done. The problem I am
trying to resolve is how breakpoints are set in shared libraries, given
that they are loaded read-only on Mac OS X (assuming the "write a bpt
instruction" approach). The context for this is a custom debugger we
have for a Java VM (Maxine) which uses "write a bpt instruction" and
works fine setting breakpoints in shared library code on Linux and
Solaris, but not on MacOS (we get access faults trying to write the BPT
instruction).

Thanks
Mick Jordan