Shared libaries and core files

Worley, Dale R (Dale) dworley@avaya.com
Fri Nov 4 18:02:00 GMT 2011

I see that when I give GDB a core file, GDB loads many shared
libraries into its memory model of the process being debugged.  How
does GDB determine what these libraries are?  Does GDB know of
libraries that are loaded "dynamically" in the course of execution, or
only those that are loaded at process start time?

Naively, I would expect the dynamic loading routines in the process
would have to keep track of all the loaded libraries, and GDB could
extract from these data structures the complete list of libraries that
were loaded at the moment of the process failure.

Any information would be helpful,

Dale