What role does gdb/remote.c play?

Andrew Burgess aburgess@broadcom.com
Mon Aug 15 15:26:00 GMT 2011

On 15/08/2011 16:09, Triple Yang wrote:

> The Question is, when I created my own "struct target_ops" object and
> initialized it properly, then added it to targetlist, I could expect
> it would respond to commands like target remote and break.

The commands "target remote" and "break" are different, the "target
remote" is used to pick which "struct target_ops" is used to talk to a
target, commands like "break" use the functions linked into the "struct
target_ops" in order to do debugging stuff with your target.

The remote in "target remote" comes from the to_shortname field of the
struct target_ops. If you have created your own struct target_ops then
you should fill this field in with a unique target name, say xxx, you
can then say "target xxx" and gdb will use your struct target_ops to
talk to the target.

> As I've mentioned in a previous mail, current_target holds the value
> specified in remote.c rather than my own remote-XXX.c. I guess the
> expected value is overrided in init.c (which is a generated file
> during building) since _initialize_remote() is called after calling
> _initialize_remote_XXX(). It is easy to find an ugly and offensive way
> to avoid that situation. But I tend to believe there are some clean
> and pretty means to do that and I don't know yet.

The calls to _initialize_<whatever> build up the total list of all
possible targets. Just having a target in the list doesn't mean it's
being used, a target type is selected when you issue the target <type>
command to gdb.

Andrew