Multiple remote inferiors

Pedro Alves pedro@codesourcery.com
Wed Apr 6 17:44:00 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 16:02:15, Kevin Pouget wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it looks like it's not possible to connect to several
> remote/extended-remote inferiors at the same time:
>
> (gdb) target remote :1234
> (gdb) add-inferior
> Added inferior 2
> (gdb) inferior 2
> [Switching to inferior 2 [process 0] (<noexec>)]
> (gdb) target remote :1235
> A program is being debugged already.  Kill it? (y or n)
>

> and I was wondering what was the reason?

GDB support multiple processes, but they currently
all need to be behind the same target.

For remote targets, only extended-remote allows that.
E.g., adding a new inferior with add-inferior, switching
to it, and doing "start", should work.

> it should theoretically be possible,

This is just software, so in theory, anything
is possible.  :-)

> now that multiprocess debugging
> has been enabled, so maybe it's because remote.c relies a lot on
> global variables?

It goes further beyond that.  There's only one target_ops stack.
Going multi-target would be awesome.

--
Pedro Alves