Failed to compile GDB 7.2 with python support

Michel METZGER michel.metzger@st.com
Thu Sep 30 20:07:00 GMT 2010

I understand now.

Thanks for your help guys!

--
Michel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Brobecker [mailto:brobecker@adacore.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:15 AM
To: Michel METZGER
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Failed to compile GDB 7.2 with python support

[added gdb@sourceware.org back so that everyone can follow the
discussion and any suggestion that might emerge]

> It prints
>
> -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -lpython2.6

It's all coming back to me, now. I was thinking of a discussion
we had with MichaelS, but in fact, it was something I already
found earlier:

http://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2010-07/msg00168.html
http://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2010-08/msg00047.html

(you are facing issue #1)

You're facing that problem because you built python with --enable-shared.
The problem is indeed in the python-config.py script, which we copied
from the Python sources.  And the bad news is that fixing it is far
from trivial - and it gets worse when one starts considering MacOS
and Windows.

Unless you are interested in hacking that script to make it work,
I suspect the simplest is to add the -L yourself (through LDFLAGS).
Or hack the python-config.py script to add it for you.  Whichever
is simplest in your case.

--
Joel