Clarification on Non-Stop mode.

Deepak Saxena deepak_saxena@mentor.com
Tue Sep 28 16:14:00 GMT 2010

I am working on implementing an in-kernel GDB stub and am looking for a
clarification of non-stop mode responses. According to section d.10 of
the protocol specification:

"If all threads are running when the target receives the `?' packet, or
if the target
  is not attached to any process, it shall respond `OK'. "

My questions:

- If in the case where the target is attached to a specific thread via a
vAttach,
   and all threads are running, what is the expected response? Our stub
currently
   returns a thread-info packet, we are not sure if this is correct.

- What is the expected response to a vCont packet in non-stop mode?
   We are returning a thread-info packet, but GDB says this is not
expected. The
   specification only states what the proper response should be for '?'
hence
   our confusion.

    Sending packet: $vCont?#49...Packet received: vCont;c;C;s;S;t
    Packet vCont (verbose-resume) is supported
    Sending packet: $vCont;c:p4e7.4e7#20...Packet received:
T0501:bffcc470;40:1000043c;thread:p4e7.4e7;
    Unexpected vCont reply in non-stop mode:
T0501:bffcc470;40:1000043c;thread:p4e7.4e7;

Thanks,
~Deepak