gdbserver 7.1 unable to read registers

Steffen Dettmer steffen.dettmer@googlemail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:25:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Pedro Alves <pedro@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On the other hand, there's scope for improvement in those warnings.
> It's not surprising that users don't know the consequences of not
> being able to parse a "XML target description" are.  Making
> those clearer in terms of consequences would probably already
> go a long way in avoiding surprises.  Something along the lines
> of:
>
>  "Can not parse XML target description; XML support was
> disabled at compile time."
>  "GDB may not be able to read registers correctly."

Yes, at least for me I never guessed that XML support is needed
to read registers... BTW, where can I learn more why XML is
suited and needed to read registers? XML remembers me to complex
stuff like parsers needing 10 MB source code, Unicode with
chinese characters, OpenOffice documents...

I do not see an XML warning message when gdb tries to connect,
but I have a problem with "call" in remote debugging
(arm-elf-nonlinux-gdb-7.20):

  (gdb) p strlen("")
  Could not write register "cpsr"; remote failure reply 'E00'
  An error occurred while in a function called from GDB.
  Evaluation of the expression containing the function
  (malloc) will be abandoned.
  When the function is done executing, GDB will silently stop.

Could this be caused by missing expat support, or would I
definitely see a XML warning message in case?

oki,

Steffen