gdbserver problem with thread debugging

William Wagner will_wagner@carallon.com
Thu Sep 16 08:49:00 GMT 2010

  Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong list to post to, if it's not please point
me in the right direction.

I am working on a custom embedded target which is a Freescale iMX35
processor (armv6j based). I am building a custom toolchain using
crosstools-ng, including gdb 6.8 - I have a cross compiled gdb for the
host and gdbserver for the target. Toolchain is linux 2.6.31.14,
binutils 2.20, gcc 4.4.3, eglibc 2.10 with nptl.

Debugging applications works fine until I try to debug thread creation
when gdb/gdbserver just hangs.

After searching on the net and looking at the gdb FAQ it looks like this
is related to some problem with libthread_db.so. On the target I have
stripped versions of libpthread.so and libthread_db.so. On the host I
have set solib-absolute-prefix to point to my cross compiled toolchain
and within that there are unstripped versions of both libpthread.so and
libthread_db.so. As I understand it from other posts on the web this
combination should work fine. One thing that makes me think that the
thread database is not working though is that I never see the trace
"[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]" from the thread_db code.

How can I get more debugging information out of gdb so I can work out
what is not working?

Are there any compile options that must be enabled with the tools or
options in the linux kernel?

If more details of my setup would be useful I'm happy to provide it.

Thanks
Will

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner@carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA