windows gdb.exe, setting breakpoints before debugging cause extremely slow loading

asmwarrior asmwarrior@gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:57:00 GMT 2010

  Hi, all, I'm a windows gdb user, I have used both official MinGW
gdb.exe and gdb.exe build myself.

I found that when I set a breakpoint before loading or after loading has
much different result.
I use GDB.exe under Codeblocks, here is the debugger log when I try to
debug something:
Situation works badly:

I just set breakpoint before I start "run" the debugee

 > break
"E:/code/cb/cc_branch/src/plugins/codecompletion/parser/parserthread.cpp:471"
No source file named
E:/code/cb/cc_branch/src/plugins/codecompletion/parser/parserthread.cpp.
Breakpoint 1
("E:/code/cb/cc_branch/src/plugins/codecompletion/parser/parserthread.cpp:471)
pending.
 > run

Now, it will take about 1 and a half minutes to start the debugee.

But If I do *not* set any breakpoint before running, then ,the loading
stage is quite fast(about 10 second), after that I can still set
breakpoint and all the breakpoint works fine.

Not only me find the problem, see the message posted in Codeblocks forum
by One of Codeblocks developers Pecan:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,12951.msg87332.html#msg87332

Does this a gdb bug?

Thanks

asmwarrior(ollydbg from codeblocks forum)