GDB hangs with simple multi-threaded program on linux

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 18:44:00 GMT 2010

Thiago> I'm struggling with an issue which perhaps you already faced or
Thiago> thought about...

I asked around about this, and it turns out that we have a patch in the
Fedora SRPM for it.

The approach in this patch seems to be racy.  Roland says we can do
better if we enable exit tracing.  I see this in linux-nat.c:

  /* Do not enable PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT until GDB is more prepared to support
     read-only process state.  */

I wonder what that means :-)

Thiago> 1. Is it true that when the main thread exits but there are other
Thiago> threads in the thread group, then no SIGCHLD is generated to notify GDB
Thiago> that it exited (perhaps because such a SIGCHLD could be ambiguous and
Thiago> mean that the whole process exited)?

Yes, Roland said that no SIGCHLD is generated.

Thiago> 2. Is there a way for GDB to wait on just the main thread instead of on
Thiago> the whole process when it waits on a TID which is also the PID?

I guess not.

Tom