GDB Remote protocol error codes

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com
Thu Feb 12 15:34:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 15:18 +0000, David Howells wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a general scheme for error reply codes ('Exx') in the GDB remote
> protocol?  The documentation is unclear on this point.  _Some_ of the commands
> mandate an errno return, but not all, and from whose set of errnos?  And does
> this apply to all commands?
>
> Can the gdb.info file be updated to make this more clear please?
>
> I need to know this so that I can fix up the error returns made by the FRV
> arch gdbstub in the Linux kernel.

Hi David,

When I looked at the various RSP dialogs a few months ago, I found the
error code values were pretty much always ignored at the client end.

I'll be submitting some updates to the GDB manuals in the near future,
but in the meantime there is information in my application note on using
RSP: http://www.embecosm.com/download/ean4.html.

HTH,

Jeremy

--