MI *stopped versus silent breakpoint

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Thu Feb 5 22:42:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:29:26PM -0500, Marc Khouzam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious as to the motivation behind silent breakpoints.
> I'm trying to understand why a frontend would need to know
> of a silent bp hit, but not a user?
> For instance, in async mode, if a silent bp is used,
> how would the user ever know it is hit?  And if the user
> need not know, why would a frontend?

Mostly, they're for commands lists that automatically resume.  For
instance, if you want to increment a counter every time a breakpoint
is hit, you might mark it as:

silent
commands
set $i++
continue
end

What to do with MI notifications in this case, I don't know...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery