porting reversible on arm/mips

Jakob Engblom jakob@virtutech.com
Fri Dec 11 08:16:00 GMT 2009

> I was interested in the porting on ARM. But later I found that the
> performance impact on ARM might damage the usage of process record. In
> my experiment, reversible debugging is about 20000x slower, which
> might be endurable on the modern computer. However, ARM target is tens
> of times (or even more if we consider the memory) slower than PC. So
> recording instructions will be very slow, about thousands of
> instructions per second.

I just must pitch in and say that it depends on the simulator.

An advantage to using a full simulator is that you simplify the system and no
longer have to care about OS calls: the OS is just part of the context you save
and reverse.  So the overhead actually goes down compared to native prec.  I
think a reversible ARM simulator can be made to run within a factor of ten of
native speed, easily.

Best regards,

/jakob

Jakob Engblom, PhD, Technical Marketing Manager

Virtutech                   Direct: +46 8 690 07 47
Drottningholmsvägen 22      Mobile: +46 709 242 646
11243 Stockholm             Web:    www.virtutech.com
Sweden