porting reversible on arm/mips

Sean Chen sean.chen1234@gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 03:48:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Michael Snyder <msnyder@vmware.com> wrote:
> paawan oza wrote:
>>
>> My target may be arm/mips.
>> but some of the common hurdles are following.
>>
>> 1) getting virtual machine which has capability gives me arm processor
>>
>> 2) getting the arm linux ISO.
>> Can somebody give me some pointers regarding above ?
>
> There's a nice separation in prec between architecture and
> OS/ABI.  You could begin with the arm simulator that comes
> built-in to gdb, and do the architecture part before
> tackling the Linux ABI part.

I was interested in the porting on ARM. But later I found that the
performance impact on ARM might damage the usage of process record. In
my experiment, reversible debugging is about 20000x slower, which
might be endurable on the modern computer. However, ARM target is tens
of times (or even more if we consider the memory) slower than PC. So
recording instructions will be very slow, about thousands of
instructions per second.

Please correct me if I made a mistake.

--
Best Regards,