dwarf2read.c: passing objfile as parameter?

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Fri Sep 12 15:56:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:01:52PM -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
> While passing parameters in globals Is Bad (tm), is there any reason
> to keep passing objfile around instead of storing it in
> dwarf2_per_objfile?
>
> E.g. dwarf2_find_containing_comp_unit takes objfile as a parameter:
>
> static struct dwarf2_per_cu_data *
> dwarf2_find_containing_comp_unit (unsigned long offset,
> 				  struct objfile *objfile)
>
> but it also references dwarf2_per_objfile:
>
>   high = dwarf2_per_objfile->n_comp_units - 1;
>
> Is there a reason why objfile isn't recorded in dwarf2_per_objfile?

The only one I can think of is that in some cases cross-objfile DWARF
references are possible; but GDB doesn't support that, GCC doesn't
either, and it doesn't seem very likely.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery