reverse debugging update

Michael Snyder msnyder@vmware.com
Thu Sep 11 02:06:00 GMT 2008

Just a check-in -- the work in the reverse debugging branch
is coming along nicely.  We are to the point where we can
reverse-debug gdb from one command-prompt to another: that is,
we can run gdb under gdb, start recording when we're at the
command prompt, run a command (up to the next command
prompt), and then replay the entire execution sequence
from back to front and back again (breakpoints, reverse-
continue, reverse step/next, reverse-finish etc. all working).

Software watchpoints work too, though of course they're slow...

It would be nice if some of you would give it a try.
You can build it right out of the branch, then use it
to debug whatever gdb you're working on (as long as it
is i386-linux host).

Attached are some half-baked testsuites that it currently passes.

Branch label: reverse-20080717-branch