how to examine data with compiler optimization option set?

Robert Dewar dewar@adacore.com
Wed Sep 3 14:36:00 GMT 2008

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> You might be surprised.  Some RH engineers are working along these
> lines.  Being able to debug (<=> probe/trace) optimized code is
> becoming more and more important, and gcc is slowly getting into the
> mood to help.
>

> - FChE

Well sure, but demanding to be able to see every variable at
every point is more than the minimum needed.

To me the most critical thing would be to make sure that
parameters never get lost in the back trace, or when
there is a breakpoint on a function entry. That would
go far enough.

Then you have to worry about control flow issues, such
as inlining and tail merging and that's also not easy.