HOWTO for porting GDB published

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com
Tue Sep 2 10:53:00 GMT 2008

I've just completed porting GDB 6.8 to the OpenRISC 1000 architecture.
This was an exercise originally done for GDB 5.0 and 5.3, but which has
since languished.

I achieved this by using the GDB Internals manual, looking at ports of
other architectures, and a great deal of poring over the GDB source.

I realized that there is no proper guide for an engineer porting GDB for
the first time. The GDB Internals manual is aimed at developers of GDB
itself, not porters - it is also not yet complete. Looking at ports for
other architectures helps - but which is the best one, and does it have
similar features?

But I got there in the end, thanks to the generous advice from
contributors to this mailing list and the GDB IRC channel. To help
others, I have written up what I did as a HOWTO manual for porting GDB,
using the OpenRISC 1000 port for examples. It's at

  http://www.embecosm.com/download/ean3.html

I hope this is a useful contribution. I'd welcome feedback and any
suggestions for how this first issue could be improved.

For those interested in the OpenRISC 1000 port itself, this is available
at

  http://www.embecosm.com/download/esp3.html

I've also included a Doxygen analysis, giving the documentation of all
functions in the port and their calling and dependency graphs.

I look forward to your feedback.

Jeremy

--
Tel:      +44 (1202) 416955