Detaching from a remote progam: Why does GDB retain breakpoints?

Anmol P. Paralkar b07584@freescale.com
Wed Oct 8 22:02:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

  I am trying to understand the 'detach' command and need your help.

  The documentation says:

   "After the detach command, gdb is free to connect to another target."

  So, why does GDB retain breakpoints after detaching from the remote target?

  The documentation for 'disconnect' indicates that GDB could possibly re-connect
  to the same remote target so I can see why it makes sense to retain breakpoints
  on a 'disconnect'. But, with a 'detach', a D-packet is sent and I suppose stubs
  will then typically relinquish control and have the target proper take over.

  Should'nt GDB clear out all its target related debug-state on a 'detach'?

Thanks,
Anmol.