Move GDB to C++ ?

Stan Shebs stanshebs@earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 19:45:00 GMT 2008

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> So will someone please tell, loud and clear: what do we want to do the
> day after GDB is rewritten in C++?  Let's suppose that we magically
> fast-forward to the day after everything was refactored and GDB is
> 110% pure, OO, C++ -- what will we do the next day that we cannot or
> have difficulties doing today?

Speaking for myself, I hope to spend less of my time reading code,
especially idiosyncratic implementations that seemed like clever ideas
twenty years ago. For instance, at this very moment I'm looking at
ALL_OBJFILES and friends, wondering if the introduction of multiple
execs is going to impact overall performance.
> Unless we can answer this question, refactoring and rewriting is
> simply waste of resources, nothing less, nothing more.

Indeed, refactoring alone is pointless. The theory is supposed to be
that it enables other changes. For instance, when I broke up
wait_for_inferior ages ago, my immediate goal was to preserve
functionality exactly; nobody understood any more how all the gotos
interacted, and I didn't want to throw GDB into any more of a muddle
than it had already gotten into. But once that was done, it facilitated
additiional changes for async event handling, nonstop debugging, etc.

Stan