Move GDB to C++ ?

Thiago Jung Bauermann bauerman@br.ibm.com
Tue Jul 29 19:35:00 GMT 2008

Just a clarification which I forgot to make...

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 15:58 -0300, Thiago Jung Bauermann wrote:
> Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > The question I'm asking here is are we focusing on C++ as a solution,
> > and mistakenly trying to rely on its features as a solution, when we
> > should instead be first focusing on the design, what ever the
> > implementation language?
>
> <snip>
>
> > If, in attempting to make these changes we find that the C
> > implementation truly cumbersome then we've a compelling story for
> > language change.
>
> IMHO one of the reasons that this thread keeps coming up is that current GDB
> design already begs for implementation in an OO language (witness the
> home-brewed implementation of exceptions). So if one agrees with that (I
> do), then it is not out of place to discuss a move to an OO language.

Which is not to say that I am against discussions about redesigning GDB.
If such discussions occur in the mailing list I will follow the threads
with great interest and provide input if I can.

I just think that they are not a prerequisite for this C++ discussion.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann