Move GDB to C++ ?

Andrew Cagney cagney@gnu.org
Tue Jul 29 17:29:00 GMT 2008

Mark Kettenis wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:46:15 -0700
>> From: Stan Shebs <stanshebs@earthlink.net>
>>
>> As many know, there is a project afoot to investigate the recoding of
>> GCC from C into C++. I believe the C++ idea was briefly touched on for
>> GDB at the summit, although I don't remember much discussion. Anyway,
>> this would be a good time to start thinking about it, and if people are
>> generally in favor of the idea, we can start small by tweaking the
>> sources to be C++-friendly, avoiding keywords and so forth; GCC has a
>> new warning flag -Wcxx-compat that can help.
>>

> I think this is an absolutely retarded idea.  C++ is a horrible
> programming language.

Mark,

I appreciate your pain here - as some would put it "C++ is the answer,
now what was the question? :-)" - and having considered this further,
wonder if both this thread and a proposed implementation as part of the
archer project are being too quick to put the C++ cart before the
architectural horse :-)

Instead of changing GDB to C++ and hoping the change will magically
transform GDB's code base into a clean ideal design; should we instead
be focused on trying to address what I suspect is the underlying
motivation here - a desire to clean up and re-structure GDB's code base
so that it more clearly corresponds to a more modern Object Oriented design?

If we consider this as an important goal, and find a way to more
smoothly facilitate this development (multi-arch, at 9 years, in my not
so humble opinion, was too slow)  we'll be able to improve GDB's
internal architecture without using C++.  Then, in time, with a clearer
O-O design, we can re-consider choices such as language.

Thoughts?