PowerPC prologue analysis

Aleksandar Ristovski aristovski@qnx.com
Mon Jul 28 21:08:00 GMT 2008

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:09:54PM -0400, Aleksandar Ristovski wrote:
>> I am not very familiar with PowerPC ABI, but from what I gather reading
>> the "function call" section, but can not see where is it stated that if
>> r30 is saved, then r31 must be saved too? But again, I haven't studied the
>> ABI very thoroughly and might be missing that line.
>
> Might want to look at this patch:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2007-12/msg00111.html

Thanks for the link! I briefly looked at the patch and it seems to address some of the things I am talking about (r30-r31 issue) but the comment still reads:

+     All gpr's from saved_gpr to gpr31 are saved (except during the
+     prologue).  */

Is that in the ABI? I would think that if it is, then the code I am looking at is not according to it (gcc issue or just me not understanding powerpc assembly?).