Address spaces

Paul Pluzhnikov ppluzhnikov@google.com
Thu Jul 24 21:49:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Stan Shebs <stan@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Doug Evans wrote:

>> It would be useful to have proper address spaces for non-multi-process
>> situations too.

> Do you have some specific ideas in mind? Because I was assuming (and this is
> good to be aware of) that there would not be more than one address space
> associated with a process.

Here is another use case:

I just spoke with someone who debugs a process on x86 which
dynamically switches between "flat" 32-bit address space, and
(possibly several) "restricted" 28-bit address sub-spaces (which
are using CS, DS, and segment limits) in the same process.

Think privileged and untrusted code mixed into the same process,
with well-defined rules of transition between them.

--
Paul Pluzhnikov