Address spaces

Stan Shebs stanshebs@earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 00:14:00 GMT 2008

One of the recurring themes I'm noticing in my little bit of prototyping
for multiprogram GDB is the need for a general concept of "address
space". It's not quite the same as program/exec, because several
programs could be in one address space in a non-virtual-memory system.
It's not quite the same as process, because it applies to address lookup
in execs prior to running any of them. It seems most like a tag glued on
the front of a CORE_ADDR in fact (change CORE_ADDR to a struct? urgh).

Anyway, I'm just throwing this out to get people's thoughts, and see if
I'm missing an existing basic type or bit of infrastructure that could
serve the purpose. I don't think address space objects would be
user-visible, nor have very many properties; I think their main purpose
in practice will be to keep target addresses in different execs and
processes from getting mixed up with each other.

Stan