Towards multiprocess GDB

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 18 22:13:00 GMT 2008

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:40:08 -0700
> From: Stan Shebs <stanshebs@earthlink.net>
>
> CodeSourcery has a project to add "multiprocess" capability to GDB,
> and with this message I'd like to kick off some discussion of what
> that means and how to make it happen.

Please remind me, why was this a desirable capability again?

Personally, I can't imagine someone would really want to do this using
the traditional gdb CLI, at least not within a single gdb instance.
I'd simply fire up two (or more) xterms and debug the processes
seperately.  One thing that could be useful though for that scenario
is the ability to hand of processes between gdb instances upon
fork/exec.

I suppose multiprocess debugging makes somewhat more sense in a
GUI-based IDE environment.  But running multiple instances of gdb
should work just as well in that case.

Adding a "multiprocess" capability to GDB is almost certainly going to
add significant complexity.  So there should be a good motivation for
it.