Move GDB to C++ ?

Andrew Cagney cagney@gnu.org
Fri Jul 11 12:40:00 GMT 2008

Stan Shebs wrote:
> Andrew Cagney wrote:
>> The one question I would pose though, is bashing up the current GDB
>> code base until it compiles with C++ a reasonable approach?  Each
>> time C++ has been suggested previously, that has been the proposed
>> path forward, and each time it has not moved (I've even tried it my
>> self).  Perhaps, instead, we should approach this more on a component
>> basis - stack, expr, type, proc, debug-info, ..., and convert each
>> chunk in turn.  And also make use of newer technology such as some of
>> the technology that accompanied GOLD.  This would suggest working in
>> parallel, in a src/gdbxx (gdb++) directory; while this is of course
>> longer and harder, I believe we'll see better results.
> It's certainly an approach worth thinking about. Presumably the point
> of working in a different directory is that the code might be expected
> to be broken or nonportable for a period of time, but when that
> happens you can run afoul of limited commitment levels, with people
> only able to work on gdbxx when they don't have regular gdb tasks. If
> everyone is forced into the same straitj^Wsource tree, dealing with
> mid-transition brokenness is (usually :-) ) justifiable as part of the
> job.
I don't think it is reasonable to allow mod-transition brokenness, a
code base, allowing for the usual fubars, should always build and pass
its testsuite.

> An intermediate strategy might be to enable C++ in the trunk, then do
> component replacement on branches. GCC has been having some success
> with this; if a branch has something like rewritten symbol handling,
> then regular merges will go pretty quickly, and people that don't want
> to deal with symbol stuff can continue to work on trunk, knowing that
> the branch code will come in when it's ready.

While I agree that this looks reasonable, I've reservations as to its
apparent simplicity.  Lets consider a moment GDB's vs GCC's
architectures (the high level view):

-> a compiler such as GCC has a pipeline architecture: each pass or
filter implementing a specific algorithm and working in relative
isolation; communication with the next pass being through simple (ok in
theory :-) and tight interfaces.  (There are exceptions such as the
symbol table of course :-) For instance the front-end churns out GIMPLE,
while the back-end continues to be fed RTL.  A filter, the bulk of its
code being an algorithm, can be re-implemented in C++ without modifying
the interfaces it uses; and a structure can be changed to C++ while
retaining compatible C/MACRO interfaces.

-> a debugger such as gdb has an object-oriented architecture: there are
a number of objects and relationships that reflect the system it is
modelling.  For instance, a stack has-a frame, a variable has-a
location|type, and so on.  When talking about changing GDB to C++ we're
in fact talking about changing the implementation of each of these
objects from a struct/union to a classes.  I would consider that a far
more invasive change.

As a way of getting a better feel for this, lets consider two previous
structural efforts: the unwinder and the architecture vector.  I mention
them as they are obvious first candidates for switching to C++.  For
each project the work was largely implemented incrementally in the
mainline, consequently I would suggest, each project also took, not
weeks or months, but years of effort.   I suspect that, when we're
talking about that sort of time scale for an incremental approach, it
too runs the risk of limited commitment levels, and GDB finding itself
in a C vs C++ no-where land.

If only life were simple.

-