[remote protocol] support for disabling packet acknowledgement

Sandra Loosemore sandra@codesourcery.com
Thu Jul 10 19:59:00 GMT 2008

Paul Koning wrote:

>  Sandra> You'll note the documentation says turning off acks may be
>  Sandra> desirable to reduce communication overhead *or* "for other
>  Sandra> reasons".  In fact, it is the "other reasons" that motivated
>  Sandra> this patch.  We are working on designing the extensions to
>  Sandra> the remote protocol to support nonstop mode, and we realized
>  Sandra> that we simply cannot do it in combination with using +/-
>  Sandra> acks on the asynchronous responses.  If we need a reliable
>  Sandra> transport layer to support nonstop mode, we might as well
>  Sandra> turn the acks off completely instead of dealing with the
>  Sandra> extra complexity of trying to design the nonstop protocol
>  Sandra> around them.
>
> Ok, so does that mean the nonstop mode features won't work unless the
> remote protocol is layered on TCP?  Given that a lot of the time the
> remote link is simply a UART serial link, is there an issue here?

Probably so, but the +/- acks are not the way to solve it.  :-(

Our internal discussion on that issue was getting more and more complicated, to
the point where I could not even follow what the exact problem was.  My
imperfect understanding is this:  In nonstop mode, stop replies are sent
asynchronously, which breaks the back-and-forth, GDB-talks-stub-responds model.
  The stub may send a stop reply when GDB is not expecting to read a regular
packet response.  With some care, we could interleave the protocol acks of these
response or its ACK got lost entirely in transmission.  We got to the point of
considering whether we needed to add some out-of-band protocol to support the
asynchronous responses from the stub, mirroring the asynchronous ^C that GDB can
send to the stub, for instance, before deciding we didn't want to go there right
now.

There's current practice (the existing Apple implementation) to support
disabling +/- acks and it seems useful as a performance hack for TCP connections
independently of the nonstop extensions, so why not formalize it?

-Sandra