Move GDB to C++ ?

Stan Shebs stanshebs@earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 18:46:00 GMT 2008

As many know, there is a project afoot to investigate the recoding of
GCC from C into C++. I believe the C++ idea was briefly touched on for
GDB at the summit, although I don't remember much discussion. Anyway,
this would be a good time to start thinking about it, and if people are
generally in favor of the idea, we can start small by tweaking the
sources to be C++-friendly, avoiding keywords and so forth; GCC has a
new warning flag -Wcxx-compat that can help.

For my part, I think we should do it. GDB has quite a bit of object-like
structure internally, and while in the past it was taking a bit of a
chance to rely on the availability and reliability of C++ compilers,
those concerns are now generally outdated; I'm not sure any of the
potential problem hosts are even supported any longer.

Stan