remote protocol target byte ordering question

Michael Snyder msnyder@specifix.com
Tue Jul 1 19:12:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 18:42 -0700, Ananth Sowda wrote:
> I know that GDB remote protocol uses target byte ordering for
> multi-bytes values as in register set content, memory address or
> values to be written  to the target memory. I don't see where in the
> GDB code this swapping from host to target byte order is done. Can
> someone point to the right segment of the code? Thanks for any
> pointers.

There is a family of conversion functions whose names
begin with either "store_" or "extract_", and then a type
such as "signed_integer" or "unsigned_long", so eg.
"extract_unsigned_integer".

When you "extract" a value, you're taking it from target
format to host format, and when you "store" one you are
sending it from host format to target format.