-var-update using formatted value

Nick Roberts nickrob@snap.net.nz
Sat Jan 19 08:27:00 GMT 2008


 > I say var-update should show changes when they occur on the target and that
 > var-update should only be used once per varObject when a program stops.

If the user assigns a new value to a variable the frontend needs to update to
this without waiting for program execution.

 > You say var-update should show changes when they affect the display,
 > independently of if they were caused by a content change in the target or a
 > format change in GDB.  In that case, var-update is used multiple times
 > without the program having stepped.

I think it needs to be used after every user command for the reason above.  I
guess this could be expensive for a remote target.

 > What is var-update really meant to do?

It's meant to do whatever we find most convenient but I don't know when you
would wish to display floats as hexadecimals, or why you would want to cache a
value in multiple formats.

-- 
Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob



More information about the Gdb mailing list