debugging stripped binary/library & coredump without binary
Daniel Jacobowitz
drow@false.org
Tue Jun 12 11:23:00 GMT 2007
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:22:43PM +0530, Sudhakar G wrote:
> For certain reasons I want strip the symbols in my modules. But I want
> to know how to debug the program in such case. I used to debug running
> program at object/assembly level but only with the help of symbols
> which help me in setting breakpoints. But with symbols stripped, I am
> at loss as to how to debug. I know there is a command called
> "symbol-file" in gdb which will help in loading the symbol file. Not
> sure if it is of help. But I could not figure out how to generate
> symbol file for a program or library though I spent some time with gcc
> and ld man pages.
You can use separate debug files, or you can just save the unstripped
file and use that for GDB instead.
> I also want to know if there is anyway in opening the coredump and
> debugging it if the actual program is not available.
gdb -c, but it does not work as well as if you give it a program.
--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery
More information about the Gdb
mailing list