[RFC] named thread support
Kris Warkentin
KEWarken@qnx.com
Fri Oct 7 16:53:00 GMT 2005
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz [mailto:drow@false.org]
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:30:22AM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> > Kris Warkentin wrote:
> >
> > >Would it be of interest to have a generic 'set threadname <tid>
> > ><name>' that called a target_set_threadname()? I ask
> because we're
> > >implementing named threads in our kernel but I don't know if many
> > >other systems support this. I can always add it to our
> backend but if
> > >someone else might use it in the future, I can make it general.
> >
> > This actually was on the wishlist ages ago, ca 1998 or so I think,
> > probably connected with eCos plans. Even a target that didn't
> > support named threads could still make use of the generic
> capability,
> > for instance via setup scripts - break at a place known unique to a
> > particular thread, get tid, name it, then user and other scripts can
> > reliably use the name.
>
> I find this much more interesting than the way I interpreted Kris's
> original question - I don't think many targets will be interested in
> propogating the thread name to the target, but more will be interested
> in retrieving the thread name from the target, and all will be
> interested in user-defined names in the interface. Let's do it! :-)
Cool. We're putting another person on our gdb team (Jeff Baker who you
might know from the binutils mailing list) so he and I will work on this.
Sounds like a fun project.
cheers,
Kris
More information about the Gdb
mailing list