Register numbers on hppa64

Randolph Chung randolph@tausq.org
Sun Nov 27 15:10:00 GMT 2005


> If we change the register use in .dwarf_frame, then we are breaking
> compatibility with previously compiled code.  This isn't a big deal
> under HP-UX (dwarf debugging was totally broken on hppa64 until a
> recent assembler fix).  However, there is a fair bit of installed
> code running linux.  Thus, I would say not change the status quo
> if the above confusion can be handled.  The actual numbers used for
> the FP registers are obscure and I doubt many people actually care
> what they are.  It's only people maintaining the dwarf code that
> are likely to get confused.  If readelf produced a text rather than
> numeric representation, then the problem would largely go away.

If I understand Mark correctly, the suggestion would change the 
numbering used for dwarf cfi/eh, but not the register numbers emitted 
for .debug_info, right?

FWIW currently on hppa-linux, gdb does not use dwarf cfi for frame 
unwinding. It's on my list of things to do, but if something need 
changing in gcc for whatever reason, now is a good time to do it as far 
as I'm concerned.

randolph



More information about the Gdb mailing list