Prologue analysis interface

Jim Blandy jimb@red-bean.com
Wed Nov 23 03:52:00 GMT 2005


On 11/22/05, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:
> > The frame pointer bits do involve some target heuristics.  I think we
> > could do away with that, if we had reason to (i.e. an interesting
> > target which didn't use a fixed register for this).  But I'm not
> > suggesting it until we have such a target, hopefully not for a long
> > time.
>
> Not sure if this is relevant, but the HPPA ABI says that when there
> is a frame pointer, it is either in r3 or r4, depending on the frame
> size (IIRC). GCC doesn't follow the ABI, and always uses r3, but I am
> pretty sure that the HP C compiler does follow that convention...

The MIPS (if I recall, the first architecture to give us real
headaches in prologue analysis, before it became popular, things were
pretty simple and the current approach worked pretty well) doesn't
designate a particular register for use as a frame pointer, either.

I think all we really need to know is how to find the original SP (for
use as the CFA).  Having a designated frame pointer narrows the set of
places we need to look, but we could search all the registers for
something with the right value.



More information about the Gdb mailing list