single-stepping remote target fails

Chad Phillips jcphillips@yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 15:42:00 GMT 2005


 >On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:18:28AM -0400, Chad Phillips wrote:
 >> Problem 1.
 >> Single stepping in C source only steps by single machine instruction.
 >> I had expected that GDB might try to set breakpoints on the next
 >> instruction and then continue, but I see no such requests from GDB.
 >> How does GDB cause single steps through C (any high level language)
 >> source?
 >It does hardware single steps until the source line of the $pc changes.

Interesting.  It makes no requests to set breakpoints.  If I explicitly 
set breakpoints, they work.   But when I issue the step command, I get 
no breakpoint commands at my proxy application from GDB.  Any Ideas?

 >> Problem 2.
 >> When I issue the step command (or si, n, ni) to the target, GDB does
 >> a _lot_ of memory reads.  It reads from the start of main up to the
 >> current PC (in main).  What is it doing, and how can I make it stop?

 >Preumably it is doing prologue analysis.  You need to work out (A) why
 >it triggered the prolgoue analyzer and (B) whether you should be using
 >unwind information instead of prologue analysis.

Thanks.  That make sense.

-Chad



More information about the Gdb mailing list