Phasing out Dwarf 1?

Kean Johnston jkj@sco.com
Wed May 5 16:05:00 GMT 2004

> If you installed operating system X, including the vendor compiler, and
> typed `cc -g ..` would the debug format be dwarf-1?
>
> Of those, how many do we still support.
At least 3 I know of: SCO, UnixWare ans Solaris x86. DG-UX may as well,
but I cant swear to its native debugging format. I wish I could say
I will have the energy and time to maintain this in gdb but I just
cant say that. Id be far more interested in getting it doing correct
stack traces in 6.1 on SCO than in supporting DWARF1. SCO for one
provides a 'sanctioned' version of gdb, which is 5.1, which does
support DWARF1, and I will continue to provide it if it gets phased
out of the mainline, I would just prefer not to if its reasonably
possible. Since only relatively uncommon platforms are likely to
be affected by this and given the burden of maintaining it I can see
why you want to drop it. I really dont mind providing two versions
of gdb if I have to.

Kean