Phasing out Dwarf 1?

Kean Johnston jkj@sco.com
Tue May 4 17:19:00 GMT 2004

> This seems like a poor argument. The availibility and suitability of
> modern GCC for building GDB does not imply that modern GCC will be
> suitable for building the application to be debugged.

I agree. I think phasing out a whole debugging format
is ill-advised. Most people dont want to keep around
multiple versions of a tool. If I need to debug an
old binary becuase the libc I replaced today is breaking
something, I think I have a reasonable expectation of
being able to do so. I think it is quite appropriate to
phase out the *generation* of said format, but not its
interpretation in a debugger.

Kean