Post GDB 6.2, require new frame code

Andrew Cagney cagney@gnu.org
Fri Jun 18 19:29:00 GMT 2004

GDB's new frame infrastructure was introduced more than a year ago
(dwarf2-frame added May '03) and then included in the 6.0 and 6.1
releases.  Since that introduction, we've seen:

	alpha ARM AVR CRIS d10v FRV
	PA-RISC i386 ia64 m32r m68hcll
	m68k m88k mips ppc s390 sh4
	sparc vax

all updated to this new framework.  Unfortunately, though, we're still
left with a few architectures relying on the old framework.

We're now faced with the problem of what to do with the remaining
architectures.  The choices I see are:

- continue to support the legacy framework

- convert the remaining architectures

- phase out the remaining architectures

So as to avoid the problem of this dragging on indefinitely, we need to
establish a clear schedule by which all architectures are expected to
have been updated.  To that end:

- make GDB 6.2 the last release to support the legacy frame code

- in 6.2 NEWS, list unconverted architectures as about to be obsoleted

- Post 6.2 release, obsolete any remaining architectures

comments,
Andrew