PROPOSAL: removing src/expect

Andrew Cagney cagney@gnu.org
Wed Jun 16 13:46:00 GMT 2004

> As for who's going to keep it up-to-date, whoever finds that there are
> problems in what's in there.

Unfortunately, reality rears it's ugly head - what you suggest hasn't
happened - no one cares enough about src/expect/ to fix it.  I've even
investigated the effort needed to upgrade expect and decided to walk
away from the problem - total waste of my time.  Far easier to just use
the standard expect shipped with the distro's I use.  At least the
bundled expect works on 64-bit machines like amd64.

Independent of what happens to this thread, I think GDB (and GCC?)
should clarify their test procedures so that they don't direct the
developer towards src/expect/.  (Ben, think of this as plan B, if none
of the GNU projects use/recommend src/expect/ et.al., do they still
exist? :-)

Andrew