Binary Compatibility: debug info for compiled Java programs

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Wed Jun 9 14:13:00 GMT 2004

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Bryce pointed out that there is another solution that he favours,
> which involves gdb reading libgcj's metadata.

There is already (somewhat bit-rotted) code to do this - but of
course for the old ABI.

Note that we need a solution that also handles dynamically-loaded
interpreted or (future) jit-compiled classes.

That argues for having gdb reading meta-data from the interior.

> Both solutions require gdb changes: to generate DWARF data at runtime
> requires some changes because gdb is used to reading debug data from
> object files, not from the inferior process.

The Java support in gdb can sort-of do either.
--
	--Per Bothner