GDB and ARM Frame Pointer strangeness

Mark Salter msalter@redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 12:26:00 GMT 2004

> I have yet to come across a stub that validates memory addresses.  Stubs
> are usually Lean and Mean.  What criteria would a stub use to validate
> the memory addresses?

Pretty much all of the ones I have seen are protected against bad
memory accesses. For instance, RedBoot stubs use the most usual
mechanism whereby a fault handler is used to catch accesses which
throw a cpu exception. The stub is in a much better position to
determine if a memory space access is valid or not. GDB only knows
about memory occupied by the program being debugged. A user may
also want to access h/w registers at addresses not known by GDB.

--Mark