GDB and ARM Frame Pointer strangeness

Steven Johnson sjohnson@neurizon.net
Tue Jun 8 04:25:00 GMT 2004

I have tracked the root cause of GDB reading invalid memory at its whim,
but am at the moment confused as to the way to solve this problem.

The problem resides in the function: value_assign in valops.c

struct value *
value_assign (struct value *toval, struct value *fromval)
{

  [snip]

  /* Since modifying a register can trash the frame chain, and modifying
memory
     can trash the frame cache, we save the old frame and then restore
the new
     frame afterwards.  */
  old_frame = get_frame_id (deprecated_selected_frame);

This is all well and good, but at the beginning of the world, when the
target is not yet properly initialised, the frame is corrupt.
Dereferencing R11 (on an ARM) and then looking at that Memory is BAD.
R11 at the beginning of the world doesnt contain anything valid.

This seems to be a worse problem (to me) than the one supposedly solved
by the piece of code here.  I would have thought it would only need to
do this if:
1.  The frame was valid. AND
2. You modify a frame register OR
3. You modify any memory within the current Frame.

Otherwise the operation is un needed. (As far as I can tell).  Is there
any way to determine if the frame is valid, so that at least that check
can be added to this code, to prevent GDB illegally accessing invalid
memory?

Steven Johnson