[maint] [maint] Michael Chastain for testsuite

Michael Elizabeth Chastain mec.gnu@mindspring.com
Sat Jun 5 02:10:00 GMT 2004

cgf> Does that translate into every bug reported eventually gets a test?

Hmmm, to put that in process terms: it means that a bug can't be closed
until there is a test for that bug in the test suite.

That would be good, but I'm not ready to go as far as to make it
a requirement for closing a PR.  We've already got several problems
with PR's: the number of open PR's increases with time; and most PR's
go for a long time before getting any attention.  I like to be a little
conservative about closing PR's but I'm not willing to add a requirement
that a PR has a test.

cgf> Would it make sense to add the test for a reported bug before a patch to
cgf> fix it is submitted?

I don't think so.  It might be sensible to have these requirements
in parallel:

  test must be committed before closing PR
  code fix must be committed before closing PR

But I don't think it helps to require "test must be committed before
code fix is committed".

Michael C