warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Fri Dec 31 19:09:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 09:51:22AM -0400, Adam Richard wrote:
> That doesn't really make sense to me.  Setting a breakpoint *is* a debugging task.  Why
> does it need to set a breakpoint in order to debug?

So that it knows what shared libraries are loaded in the program you're
debugging.  It hits the breakpoint when the list changes.

> > > Linux, kernel 2.6.9, on an AMD Athlon XP processor.  I read somewhere that it
> > might
> > > have to do with a stripped gdb but I don't understand why I can't have a stripped
> > gdb
> > > so I'm hoping for an explanation.
> >
> > Not a stripped GDB, a stripped dynamic linker (/lib/ld-linux.so.2).
>
> OK, why does a stripped dynamic linker impair debugging?  I noticed that that file is
> part of the glibc package, and I can see why stripping it would prevent being able to
> step into its functions for any program which depends on it (which is most programs).
> But I still don't understand your explanation.

Because GDB has trouble finding the list of available shared libraries.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz