GDB 6.3 assumes that DW_AT_frame_base exists

H. J. Lu hjl@lucon.org
Thu Dec 30 19:24:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:43:19PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:24:49AM -0800, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > > GDB not being able to debug GCC is a GDB problem.  (Or possibly a
> > > problem of the compiler than was used to compile the GCC being
> > > debugged).  Either way I am pretty sure that readelf is blameless in
> > > this situation.
> >
> > I think gcc may be correct and gdb just can't handle location list
> > correctly.
>
> If you believe there is a GDB bug, please submit a bug report with
> self-contained test case.

I don't know if it is a gcc or gdb bug, and I don't have a
self-contained testcase. The only thing I see is gdb crushes on
cc1 from gcc 4.0. It seems that gdb 6.3 assumes DW_AT_frame_base
exists for a function. But not all functions in cc1 in gcc 4.0
have DW_AT_frame_base and gdb 6.3 crushes in dwarf_expr_frame_base.

BTW, does gdb use bugzilla?

H.J.