Registry Group

Andrew Cagney cagney@gnu.org
Sat Dec 18 01:03:00 GMT 2004

Alexiev, Dobrin wrote:
> I am working with the Eclipse C Development Tools community to add a
> feature that will group registers in the Register View of Eclipse.
>
> Since embedded CPUs have lots of peripheral registers (50-100+) it is
> getting a burden for the developer to keep scrolling the registry view
> to find the right register. A grouping will make the user experience way
> better.
>
> Since the IDE is relying on the GDB for most of the device information I
> was wandering if there is a similar MI/GDB command to obtain the name of
> the groups and their registers association.
>
> In our product we added such command "-data-list-register-groups". The
> syntax of the command is:
> -data-list-register-groups
> ^done,register-groups=[{name="r0",group="GRP1"},{name="r8",group="GRP2"}
> ]

Sure! have you looked at the output from:
	(gdb) maint print register-groups
as it should make a good starting point.

I suspect that the output should be more like:
	...{name="r0",groups=["grp1","grp2",...]},...
(the MI syntax police will quickly point out the exact syntax :-).

Andrew

(I don't see anything on file for TI, I'll send you something off line.
  Nothing to stop you sorting out the spec though).