cannot subscript something of type <data variable, no debug info>

Michael Chastain mec.gnu@mindspring.com
Tue Aug 24 16:54:00 GMT 2004


objdump isn't what you want; try "readelf -w tester".

'nm' will show the symbol 'Mod'.  The symbol is fine,
it has a valid address and everything.  The problem is that the
*type information* for the symbol is missing.

> It looks like I have the "expert" mode compiler installed, which doesn't
> allow debugging, on the theory that *real* linux programmers don't need
> crutches like that!!!  8-{P

I don't know SuSE, but it sounds like you have some freak compiler
installed, all right.  SuSE must have a good compiler too, because
the SuSE system that I'm using compiles your source code to an
executable file with good debug info.

> (BTW, is there any reason why you suggested 3.3.4 rather than 3.4.1, which
> is current??  Is it not yet stable?)

3.4.1 has some debug info regressions compared to 3.3.4.
Also since your vendor compiler is a derivative of 3.3.3,
3.3.4 might slip in a bit easier, especially if you link
against system shared C++ libraries like the KDE libraries.



More information about the Gdb mailing list